We're passionate about good coffee! All of our units feature freshly roasted whole-bean coffee from local artisan roaster Brick & Mortar Coffee.
Each of our properties contains a coffee grinder and an top-rated automatic drip coffee machine calibrated to provide the optimal water temperature for the best extraction as well as half and half, sugar, and powdered creamer.
For the discerning connoisseur, we also provide a Bee House pour-over dripper, a gooseneck kettle, and Melitta cone filters. It only takes an extra minute, but we believe it's worth it--a pour-over is the best way to experience the subtle flavors of high-quality coffee!
If you enjoy your coffee, please visit Brick & Mortar in Springfield at 1666 E St Louis St, Springfield, MO 65802 and mention that Chris from Sleep Branson vacation rentals sent you! You can also find Brick & Mortar coffee at MaMa Jean's Natural Markets in Springfield or shipped to you from Brick & Mortar's website. (Note: their website is currently down; email them at orders@brickandmortarcoffee or call them at (417) 812-6539 to order for shipping.)
Automatic drip coffee maker brewing suggestions:
- Use 2 tablespoons of beans for each 6oz (or each one-cup marking on the coffee maker) of water
- Grind beans immediately before brewing (grounds go stale much faster than whole beans)
- Grind beans for approximately 15 seconds, aiming for a grind like coarse sand
- Shake grinder while grinding to achieve a more consistent grind (at home, we use and recommend a high-quality conical burr grinder)
- Use cold water to fill the coffee maker
- If available, use the "1-4 cup" setting even if making a larger pot (hotter water = better extraction)
- Remove carafe from heat after brewing to avoid burning coffee and causing bitterness
- If bitter, grind coarser; if sour, grind finer
Bee House pour-over dripper brewing suggestions:
- It's much easier to illustrate with pictures. Check out this brewing guide: How To Make Coffee With A Bee House Dripper | Craft Coffee Guru. (If you have a kitchen scale, this guide is excellent: Brew with Bee House | Stumptown Roasters.)
- The Bee House is a very forgiving pour-over dripper and produces good coffee even without perfect technique. If you'd like to up your game at home, check into the Hario V60, Kalita Wave, or Chemex pour-over drippers or our personal favorite for quality, versatility, and convenience, the AeroPress.
Local coffee shops:
We love providing great coffee in our units, but sometimes you want a great cup while you're out! Here are our local favorites:
- Vintage Paris in historic downtown Hollister roasts their own beans and makes by far the best coffee in the Branson area. The atmosphere is fantastic, too--it's very cozy and warm and makes for a great place to sit down and chat with friends. They're very popular with the local college students, and so they stay open late into the evening and also feature wine and craft beer.
- The Workshop at Finley Farms in Ozark (between Branson and Springfield) offers excellent coffee (from Airship Coffee in Bentonville) and great light, fresh sandwiches in a neat space.
- The Coffee Ethic right on the square in downtown Springfield roasts their own beans and makes great coffee in a trendy space.
- Brick & Mortar in Springfield just east of downtown is, of course, our very favorite, and we highly recommend stopping by their tasting room and taking some home with you!
Also, be sure to check out the very active r/coffee community on Reddit for more about brewing coffee than you ever knew existed!